This Fall join us at the Springs Library at 10:30AM Saturday mornings for
kids Storytime! Light snacks and drinks served.
We are always looking for volunteers (English and Spanish)
Springs Historical Society
The Springs Historical Society was organized in 1975 by a few Springs residents to collect and preserve information and material particularly relevant to the Springs area of East Hampton Town.
Membership is open to anyone wishing to support the organization and its activities.
The Society presents programs on topics related to Springs; collects and preserves documents and photographs from the area and operates the Springs Community Library.
The Society keeps its records in the Ambrose Parsons House which also serves as the Springs Community Library. The building itself is owned by East Hampton Town.
We are located in the heart of Springs Historic District, by the Blacksmiths shop, Ashawagh Hall and Community Presbyterian Church. The Springs General Store and the Pollock - Krasner House is just a few walk-able minutes away.
Elizabeth Parker Anderson (1893-1975)
The Library is housed in the Ambrose Parsons House, which was generously willed to the Town of East Hampton by its owner, Elizabeth Parker Anderson (1893-1975), on her death “to be used as a library for the people of Springs.” Professionally known as Elizabeth Parker, she was an accomplished painter who lived and worked in Springs beginning in the 1950s. A dedicated member of the East Hampton community, in 1957 she co-founded, with fellow artists John Little and Alfonso Ossorio, the Signa Gallery, East Hampton's first commercial gallery devoted to abstract art.
She also inaugurated the art auction scholarship program for Springs students and was a past president of the Springs Improvement Society. In the words of Alfonso Ossorio, “Elizabeth Parker devoted her life to her art and to a constructive involvement with other people…. And for this joyful accomplishment we thank her.” Read more